Meet Tina, the passion behind Mudd Pie Girl Bakery, a true culinary gift to Charleston.
Let us for a moment take a trip down memory lane, when young Tina was no more than two years old, curious and full of wonder. She would sit under the willow tree telling stories formulating in her head to the neighborhood dog, Pokey and make Mudd Pies. Coming from a long lineage of bakers, baking has always been a happy haven for Tina and she is so excited about sharing her secrets with all of Charleston.
The opportunity to become a business owner and spend each and every day doing something she loves while seeing the smiles on the patrons faces is a dream come true. Like most business owners, the risk is high, sometimes life hands you signs and you just know. From the first batch of mud to the exquisite treats she prepares for humans and dogs alike, Tina knows what she is doing is important. Her top priority is meeting the needs of her customers. Through her retail business and catering, she understands the customer and develops bakers delights based on their personal needs and preferences.
How did Tina take on this giant leap in her personal and professional career? The only way she knows how, all or nothing. Her advice to aspiring business owners:
- Save now. It is an expensive endeavor.
- It isn’t about the experience or the education as it is the belief you can succeed.
- The business will consume your life. Long hours will become a part of your way of being and should be expected.
- Never lose sight of the dream that got you there in the first place.
- Differentiate yourself from your competition. Remember what got you there and make it your own.
How is Mudd Pie Girl Bakery Different?
- They love baking. Pies, if you couldn’t tell are the true bread and butter, but this business is a full service bakery. There is no request that will go unturned. If an great idea is introduced to Tina, she will find a way to make it delicious and memorable.
- Think outside the box. Dessert for breakfast, why not. One example is the Orangecicle Muffin. That name speaks for itself.
- Attention to detail and quality of products. Each and every menu item or personal request for special occasions, catering or retail are developed to the needs and standards of the customer. Whether it is a gluten sensitivity or a sugar restriction, each project is taken on with personal ownership.
What inspires your creations?
Menu items are rarely planned. It may be taking a traditional favorite and making it unique or an idea will come up in a conversation that spins off into a magical creation. The true inspiration is the pallets of those that glow each time they eat one of Tina’s treats. Seeing the smiles and satisfied appetites is what keeps her coming in each day to bake before the sun rises.
Mudd Pie is proud of its dog treat line of products that are inspired by her own four legged children. Baker loves crunchy biscuits, so Baker’s Biscuits came to life. Oak is a big husky dog and always preys on leftovers and thus Oak’s Oats was born. Buddy is the elder dog and does not have the strong teeth he used to. He helped develop the soft and easy to eat banana bar.
How can someone enjoy all your wonderful menu offerings?
- The retail store is currently partnered with How Art Thou Cafe at 1956 Maybank Highway, James Island (Terrance Theater Plaza). You can stop by as early as 6:30 AM and as late as 10 PM but don’t come on Sunday. They will not let you in the door as they are closed.
- Don’t let that get you down. The bakery is part of the Sunday Brunch Farmers Market on James Island each week and will be part of the James Island County Park annual Harvest Festival on November 2.
- They are proud to provide full catering options as well. You can email or contact Tina directly for details – Mudd Pie Girl Official Website
What is next as you reach for the stars?
The long-term goal is to open a second location and then bring the magic back to Tina’s hometown of Newtown, Connecticut. Devastated by one of the most tragic events in our country’s history on December 14, 2012, the shootings in the elementary school, near her hometown has weighed heavy on Tina’s heart. If she can take something that is special to her and bring happiness to a community left with so many unanswered questions, it is the best she can do and a personal goal she would like to fulfill.
Meeting Tina will bring you joy. Her zest for life, passion for baking and ability to understand and connect to her customers it what makes her story so special and what will make her bakery such a stand out in this community. Whether it is a brownie, muffin, pie or cupcake, stop by her bakery. Say hello, take a seat at the bar, have a latte and spend sometime with Tina and her creations.