You stare directly into the eyes of a goat. Nicely settled on the top of the his castle, ten steps up from the garden wilting away for the winter. A few minutes earlier, in your pursuit to make friends with a chicken, you are pecked on the hand. Maybe a sign of love or maybe he didn’t like his feathers ruffled. Now for the reason, we came in, wine, vodka and moonshine. Step through the gift shop and experience Charleston’s winery experience.
This is the home of Irvin House Vineyards. Starting as a retirement project over a decade ago, this unique experience just outside of Charleston, James Island and John’s Island is a haven for wine enthusiasts, vodka lovers, animal fans and so much more. Only 25 minutes outside of the city, this is one attraction that keeps you coming back for more.
What makes this experience so unique and wonderful and a perfect addition to the Charleston landscape?
- For five dollars, you get to sample each of their five wines produced and take the glass home with you (Types of Wines)
- For six dollars, you can sample six flavored vodka, bourbon or moonshine offerings from the Firefly Distillery. There are selections you can only purchase here and not in the stores.
- Walk through the vineyard and taste the muscadine grapes.
- Play corn hole or play on the tire swing in the back.
- Have a picnic on the grass with the family or a loved one.
- Take your picture with your face in a batch of grapes.
- Play with the free roaming animals.
- Walk through the magic garden area.
- Watch the process of wine making take place.
- Find unique gifts in the gift shop.
Have we convinced you yet?
Here is a little more to whet your appetite. On special weekends, you will find live music from bluegrass to blues making it the perfect setting for a day out of the crazy downtown life including the 11th Annual Blessing of the Vines Festival on November 9th, 2013.
The vineyard is open for tastings Tuesday through Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM EST. They are also available for special events as well (Schedule of Available Tastings)
The driveway is a little rough and rugged so don’t bring the good family car.
This is a fun and playful place for adults and children alike. If you have not been to the vineyard, schedule a half a day. If you have, come back again for another round.
Where is it located?
6775 Bears Bluff Rd.
Wadmalaw Island, SC 29487
Email if you have any questions: